This section describe several sorts of situations when the benefits of the program would not be provided. When these situations apply there is an exclusion from coverage or service.
PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS EXCLUSION
There is no coverage for any loss due to "injury", "sickness" or death of you or a family member, if, during the 180 days preceding and including the "certificate effective date", there was medical care, advice, consultation or treatment received for the condition, or if symptoms of the condition were present, or if there was any adjustment of medication for the condition. This exclusion applies whether the condition was known to you or not, and whether the condition was diagnosed or not.
This exclusion affects the following benefits
- TRIP CANCELLATION
- TRIP INTERRUPTION
- AIR FLIGHT ACCIDENT
- EMERGENCY MEDICAL EXPENSE COVERAGE.
The purpose of this exclusion is to prevent you from using a pre existing medical condition to back out of a trip. IT APPLIES TO YOU AND ALL "FAMILY MEMBERS" WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE TRAVELING WITH YOU.
What this means is that you cannot collect the benefit if you miss your flight, or have to come back home because you get sick with a condition for which you received treatment over the past 6 months. The same considerations apply if a family member becomes ill. If the illness is due to an older condition or something out of the blue, than the insurance will cover you. Fortunately, we offer the Silver and Gold plan that include waivers of this exclusion condition.
The following general exclusions apply to all coverages, which means that you would not be reimbursed for losses if these situations apply. Note that you would still be elgible to receive the services from the 24 Hour Hotline. Some of the coverages and services have their own specific exclusions, which are documented in the certificate of insurance. What this means is that the insurance will not pay you for any loss arising directly or indirectly out of or as a result of the following conditions:
- Suicide, attempted suicide or intentionally self-inflicted harm, while sane or insane;
- Pregnancy, childbirth, or elective abortion, other than unforeseen complications of pregnancy;
- Participation as a professional in athletics;
- Mountain climbing;
- Riding or driving in any motor competition;
- Declared or undeclared war or any act of war;
- Service in the armed forces of any country;
- Operating or learning to operate any aircraft as pilot or crew;
- Air travel on any air-supported device, other than a regularly scheduled airline or air charter company;
- Loss or damage caused by detention, confiscation or destruction by customs;
- Any unlawful acts committed by you or a "family member";
- Nuclear reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination;
- Civil disorder or riot (does not apply to Travel Delay coverage);
- Use of drugs, narcotics or alcohol, unless administered upon the advice of a "doctor".